Sunday 14 February 2021

Beer and Yoga

Beer yoga is a yoga hybrid in which participants practice yoga at breweries or taprooms, drinking beer during or after asana practice. The exact origins of beer yoga are not clear, but it is said to have appeared at the Burning Man festival in the Nevada desert around 2013.[4] Brooke Larson founded the American company Beer Yoga in Oklahoma City in July 2015; she states that "I took a silly picture of myself sipping beer and doing yoga in February of 2013"; the response encouraged her to create the Beer Yoga Instagram page. By 2017 she was teaching Beer Yoga classes in eight states.

The German BierYoga company was started by a man named Jhula in Berlin in 2015, after seeing beer yoga at the Burning Man festival; it has spread to countries such as Australia and Thailand. By 2017, beer yoga was described as "nearly as universal at craft breweries as IPAs" in America. In England, a London pub started to offer Vinyasa Yoga classes with "ice cold beer" in 2017.



Beer yoga is nearly as universal at craft breweries as IPAs: you can find a class almost anywhere.

Yoga and I had only crossed paths once before, and I walked away feeling it just wasn’t for me. But could beer yoga be different? I wanted to find out.

A Bikram studio set the stage for my first yoga introduction. (Thanks Groupon for that stressful initiation.)

The environment was too intense for me. I played rugby, baseball, basketball and ran cross country, but this new form of intensity challenged me beyond my inflexible body could fathom. Everyone looked like a professional with their fancy spandex yoga gear. I walked in with shorts from the secondhand store and a t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Party - Electronic Dance Music

EDM. Everyone knows what it means, or at least what they think it means; but no one can ever actually agree on what it really does mean, or ...